Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

spring lawn care question

I am in Maryland (zipcode 20878) and looking for spring lawn care suggestions. This was a new home and sod was laid down last year. Tough summer took toll on the new grass and had crabgrass problem. I had applied the scotts winter fertlizer in october sometime. Planning to get a head start this year. It just snowed few days back. The temperature is still below freezing overnight here (in low 20's). I see HD has Scotts Turf Builder 13.35 lb. Fertilizer with HALTS Crabgrass Preventer on sale right now. Is it right time to apply or wait for temperature to rise? I have outside water bibes and i have closed them because of below 0 temperatures and I guess would need to stay that way until temperature goes up. If I were to apply this product does it need to be watered in? 

Also want to share the picture of my lawn here, not sure if the grass is dead because of too much winter fertilizer? It looks little yellowish to me. Lawn on the left of the picture which is my neighbor's look greener to me. 2nd picture is my lawn

Let me know..

Thanks

DSC01692.JPG

DSC01692.JPG

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-03-26T22:40:46+0000  by kevin347 kevin347

we all have similar questions. i hope you get an answer.

Posted 2013-03-27T04:36:17+0000  by hacksaw

Hello Kevin347,

It may be spring, but it sounds as if the weather is not co-operating. I would not worry about the color of your lawn until the nights heat up to about 50 degrees. It might be ok to put on the Scotts Crabgrass control now, but I would be worried about watering it in correctly since your nighttime temps are below freezing.Try to wait until the end of the month to use it instead.

Hope this helps,

Posted 2013-03-27T16:31:47+0000  by Gail_HD_OC

Gail Thanks for the response. I was just conerned about the color of the lawn since if the fertilizer has burnt the lawn, i can stop wasting more money on the fertilizer. :)

Posted 2013-03-27T16:58:25+0000  by kevin347

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+