Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

square footage for gym flooring

I am trying to figure out how many square tiles I will need to complete my gym flooring.  The form tiles are 20 x20.  My room is 146x164.  

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-15T16:52:14+0000  by stacybrat stacybrat

Hey stacybrat,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

Square footage is a very easy thing to calculate. To at least find out the total square footage is simply measuring width by length of the walls. Simple math is all it takes.

Since your tiles are 20 inches x 20 inches, you'll first need to remember that there are 144 square inches in a square foot.

Divide 400 square inches (20 times 20 to get that number) and divide it by 144 square inches.  This will give you 2.78 square feet per tile.

I'm not sure if the number you gave me is 146 x 164 expressed in inches or feet. If it is feet, you'd get almost 24,000 square feet, which I'm gonna bet the farm and say that you meant inches...although feet is easier to calculate and what most people use for a unit of measure. This is why describing your measurements is crucial.

Assuming your room was measured in inches, this is how you calculate it.

146 inches divided by 12 (12 inches to a foot ) will give 12.17 linear feet.

164 inches divided by 12 will give you 13.67 square feet

Plug those numbers together by multiplying width times length (12.17 x 13.67) will give you 166.36 square feet for the total floor area.

Since the room is 166.36 square feet and your tiles cover 2.78 square feet, you simply divide that to get 59.8 or 60 tiles needed to successfully cover the entire room (assuming the measurements you gave were inches, not feet).

You didn't say what kind of tiles you'd be using, but since some break and you'd need to cut some, allow 10 percent waste which comes to about 66 tiles needed (59.8 tiles x 1.10 percent waste).

If you decide to use a smaller tiles, refer to the tile calculator chart below.

Tile Calculator.JPG

Let me know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2014-01-15T18:55:55+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Thank you very much. That really helped me get the right answer for my measurement. Yes, it was inches and I am laying gyms rubber flooring. The case comes with 640 sq ft coverage. Meaning I'll have to order 3 cases and unfortunately having I believe 8 extra rubber tiles. Oh well. Thank you again.
Posted 2014-01-16T00:11:54+0000  by stacybrat

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+