Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

strip paint

I have an old house. The kitchen has been painted many times. Can you strip that paint off? Also the kitchen has ceramic tile half way up the wall (black and while) Can this be cleaned really good to bring out the grout in the tile

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-11-25T20:37:07+0000  by kmkps0 kmkps0

With a little bit of  some TLC and a lot of elbow grease - you can have a beautiful kitchen and feel great about DIY.:smileywink:

First, there is a product that is specifically designed for multi layers of paint.  A heavy duty paint stripper that penetrates deep to the base of the wood.

The tile will have to be regrouted to freshen up the appearance and give it a brand new look.  It's not hard and most of the time it can be done without removing the existing grout.

Click on the picture below to take you to the how-to.

grout.JPG

Posted 2013-11-25T21:30:21+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Anything is possible given enough effort and expense. My question would be if stripping is the best option? Stripping can be incredibly messy, involves much labor and not inconsiderable expense for the strippers.

If the existing paint is otherwise tight to the wall, I would consider a really good prep job consisting of sanding the wall to knock down high spots, priming with an oil based primer, patching and leveling with drywall compound where neccessary, sanding and re-priming, and finally, painting. Also not effortless, but cheaper and overall probably the lesser of the evils!

In the early part of the last century, this was anticipated. Even new plastered homes would be immediately hung with canvas. Over the years, after many coats of oil paint, the canvas could be merely pulled from the wall, leaving virgin plaster once again. I grew up in an 1883 Victorian house where every room in the house had been so treated. It was a blessing as my dad worked his way through the house re-painting.

Another possible decorating solution is one of the heavy duty vinyl on canvas wallcoverings. These are available in many textures and patterns and result in a durable, washable wallcovering. They can also be painted over, should one choose. There are also plain vinyl canvases designed to be painted over. As in ages past, they can be dry stripped by merely pulling them down, leaving the old surface exposed.

Home Depot sells a  vinyl covered, strippable textured wall covering which is designed to be painted over.

Just a few possible alternatives for your consideration.

Posted 2013-11-25T22:04:07+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+