Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

sweating slab in basement

I'd like to install vinyl plank tile in my basement. First, I need to lift the carpet and tile underneath. We have a sweating slab (dampness a few times a year under furniture). I thought laying down dricore would be the best option to prevent the vapor from ruining whatever new floor we lay. My husband thinks we an just use Redgard after we lift the tile and carpet.  

What is the best option to prevent the moisture from ruining our flooring?  Are there any other options that I don't know about that are better?  It is a 600 square foot area in a raised ranch.  Thanks!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-09-13T03:08:37+0000  by kpay82 kpay82

Hello kpay82 and welcome to the Community.

Before you make this decision, you must determine where the moisture is coming from.  Is the moisture do to humid air condensing on a cool concrete surface, active hydrostatic pressure pushing moisture up through the concrete floor, or moisture leaking through the footings or basement walls, during very wet weather conditions?   You must answer this question to determine the next step in this process. It may be necessary to correct the moisture infiltration first.

RedGard is a very good vapor barrier but should not be applied over wet surfaces or surfaces subjected to hydrostatic pressure. 

Dricore air gap encourages constant airflow and evaporation/re-absorption of surface moisture emitted from your basement concrete floor.  Here is a link to Dricore's site for if you have additional questions.

Read the detailed installation instructions and product manual for each product. 

Please share your thoughts about your situation and your decision.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2018-09-13T14:47:33+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+