Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

switching from double sink to single sink in bathroom

We have found a beautiful old dresser that is almost perfect measurement to replace a builder quality bathroom vanity. We currently have double sinks, but only want a single sink.  How hard is it to "cap off" the 2nd sink plumbing, and convert the plumbing to a single sink.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-01-06T16:40:02+0000  by lvlmiller17 lvlmiller17

Hello Lvlmiller17,

Welcome to the community.

The transition from a double sink to a single is very simple. If they are both draining into the same drain then all you will need to do is remove the wye and the p-trap from the one sink and then once you install your vanity cabinet just install a single p-trap and drain pipe.

If both sinks have their own drain pipe then all you need to do is purchase a cap in the appropriate size and thread it on. Most drain pipes are 1 ½”. You can take one of the compression nuts that are holding on the drain pipe with you to your local store to make sure that you get the correct size cap.

I would love to see the beautiful old dresser repurposed into a vanity so if you could post some pictures here on the community once you get it installed that would be great.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help.

Posted 2013-01-10T00:25:03+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

thank you so much for responding....we are super excited and cant wait to get started!vanity

Posted 2013-01-10T03:02:14+0000  by lvlmiller17

Oh my goodness that is a beautiful dresser.

Thanks for shairing the picture. :smileyhappy: 

Posted 2013-01-11T18:28:28+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

I found this vanity at the curb for trash pick up! it is in beautiful condition and very clean, it is solid wood, and the drawers are "dove tailed" - I cannot imagine why they put it out for the trash!  It  just needs a little refinish, and some new hardware.  I have been reading about Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformations.  Was wondering if you would recommend this - I really only have to refinish the front/drawers, as the sides of the vanity will be hidden by the wall.  Or if I should just lightly sand and re-stain?

Posted 2013-01-12T02:36:05+0000  by lvlmiller17

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+