Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

the how-to of tile backerboard: start-to-finish

hey everyone,

One of the most important things to  build in your house are your floors and walls to ensure a long life out of your home's active areas.

In the rooms where your floors and walls come into contact with water on a daily basis, like your kitchen and bathroom, you will need a solid and waterproof material to protect your new install as well as your subfloor underneath. To achieve that, whether you install tile, vinyl, or another hard surface in those areas, tile backerboard is strongly recommended option to put down first so as not to allow any water or moisture to seep through below or above your wooden subfloors.

I get asked a lot if you can put down tile backerboard over cement slab subfloors....and you can...but it is like "putting a bayonet on a bazooka" as I like to say. Reason is, is that cement as a substrate simply needs to be sealed with a moisture barrier product to protect your tiles being installed on top of it. Cement is strong enough without needing any boards on top of it. And the best product we sell to prevent moisture coming up from the cement/concrete subfloor is RedGuard by Custom Building Products. It not only works as a moisture barrier, but also as a crack prevention membrane as well. To read more about this awesome product, you can find the information on it here

Another common misconception of tile backerboard is when wall applications are being done, sometimes people think that the tileboard can go over the existing sheetrock or gypsum-board. Backerboard comes in 1/2" sheets as an ENTIRE replacement for the wall, and going directly over sheetrock voids any warranty you would have for your tile and tileboard installation. You would need to rip out the drywall in areas where the water will come in contact (think shower surround, but not the whole bathroom) and seam where the drywall meets the backerboard with mesh tape. Place the mortar on top to a fine feather, and tile over that, allowing for a smooth and secure transition for your tile.

The Home Depot sells many versions of tile backerboards in cement-based, fiber, or in plastic rolls. In this post, I will go over the basic and standard 3 foot by 5 foot sections we sell in our store. These 3 brands come in 1/4" and 1/2" thickness. In the video below, I will discuss all 3 including the accessories that are needed to put it down and make it last for many years to come...

VIDEO!

In the video, I mentioned using a tile backerboard scoring knife we sell in our tile aisle. Below is a pic of it.

backerboardscoringknife.JPG

Now that you have the materials, it's time to install it.The images below are taken from Durock by USG's installation guide on their website. These steps are important and can work for all 3 types of backerboard we sell. For example, the guide discusses using Durock backerboard screws and joint tape, you can use them to install Wonderboard and Hardiboard as well. All of these items listed and discussed in this post can be found at any home center without going the extra step of obtaining special materials through ordering them and waiting. Any further questions, please feel free to post here or ask on the community!             Thanks, aboveaveragejoe

backerboardinstallation.JPG

backerboardinstallation2.JPG

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-06-13T18:46:47+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL Joseph_HD_ATL

Topic
Categories+