Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Answered

the pull cord to start my lawn mower broke. I bought a new one but cant seem to get it to work.

i need some input on how to get the pull cord to work properly on my lawn mower.  there are few instructions and it wont pull to start very slak

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-07-22T15:21:54+0000  by puzzlequeen puzzlequeen

thank you so much for the picture , i will try this.

Best Answer

Posted 2013-07-23T14:43:25+0000  by puzzlequeen

Howdy

This is a relatively simple process, but you have to be VERY careful when doing this. The spring is long, under some tension, and has sharp edges. Anytime you are dealing with the manual rewind starter assembly, there is risk of the spring coming out and possibly injuring yourself or others.

pullcord.jpg

You'll need a pair of vise-grips or a screw driver, some rewind rope, a long thin sharply- tipped flexible object (the wire from a coat hanger may work) and a lighter.

1. Take the pulley and begin to to turn it until the rope becomes loose.

2. Remove the rope.

3. Once the pulley is all the way out, at the point of most tension, either use the screwdriver between the spokes of the pulley, or use the vise-grips to hold the pulley in place; be careful not to place too much pressure on the vise-grips as the plastic pulley may break!

4. Make sure that the hole in the pulley lines up with the hole on the rewind assembly.

5. Using the wire from the coat hanger, push the rope through both the holes of the rewind and pulley. Pull the rope through the pulley and tie it off. Now use the lighter to burn the end of the rope to prevent the knot from coming off.

6. Now, remove the screwdriver or vise-grips while holding on to the pulley.

7. SLOWLY loosen your grip on the pulley and the rope should feed back into the pulley as you do this.

If you are not comfortable with this repair, you can have a local authorized repair shop do this for you.

Happy Gardening,

Posted 2013-07-22T17:16:57+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+