Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

thermostat problem?

the fan on my ac unit turns on and the fan setting on my thermostat switches from auto to on by itself even when everything is off.
it does that 2-3 times a week and i have to turn it back to auto manually for the fan to stop.  is this a thermostat problem? no one changes the settings.
thank you
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-11-05T15:45:05+0000  by shain1 shain1

Hello shain1, and welcome to the community!

Do you have the model number of the thermostat? Have you checked the manufacture's website or called customer service? They might be your best bet in getting some resolution to your dilemma. 

Posted 2016-11-10T14:11:33+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI
Hello shain1.

Some programmable thermostats have a battery that keeps programming information intact during a power outage.  Older models, and some less expensive ones, simply use the 24 volt power from the furnace to store information, and even a momentary blip in home electrical power can reset the program.  If you have a battery backup model, then replacing the batteries might well solve your issue. 

The other possibility is that either type of thermostat could have failed in some way.  The only fix here would be to replace it.

The good news here is that none of your other heating/cooling components would be responsible for causing this problem.  Improper wiring cannot be the issue either, since when you reset your thermostat all appears to work fine.  Only power outages, dead batteries or a bad thermostat become suspects.

Chris.

Posted 2016-11-10T17:13:33+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+