Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

tile installation

Is necessary to remove the bathroom vanity before replacing the floor tile?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-02-06T22:45:56+0000  by Ecampb Ecampb

It's not necessary but depending on how the vanity lays out it may be easier to remove the vanity.  If the vanity goes wall to wall then I probably wouldn't bother.  If it's free standing or against one wall, then I would probably remove it just to eliminate having to cut around it.  Unless you put shoe or some other moulding around the base of the vanity, then the cuts would be visible.

Of course, if you don't tile under it, then the floor will be "taller" by the height of the tile, thinset, and backer board, giving the impression that the vanity is "shorter" by somewhere around 3/4".
Posted 2016-02-07T11:03:40+0000  by Adam444

HelloEcampb and welcome to the Community.

I agree with Adam44 that if the vanity is wall to wall I would not bother  If your vanity is free standing I would remove and tile under it for several reasons.

First, if you ever decide to replace your vanity you will have to try and patch the tile work at that time, which is more difficult and may not look very good.

You have the height difference Adam mentioned.

A properly installed tile floor is very moisture resistant so if your sinks plumbing ( or any other bathroom plumbing) was to ever leak your floor and sub floor would be protected.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2016-02-09T14:02:23+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+