Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

tints

What tints can I use with Cedar Seal clear wood stain?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-27T16:44:50+0000  by jstith jstith

jstith,

Universal tints, such as HD uses in its tint machines, can tint your stain.  As the name implies, universal tints are dissolvable in water, oil, alcohol and lacquer based paint and stain products.

In the interest of  "good will", your local HD paint associate may agree to alter your stain for you, although there are no formulas., per se.  It will be somewhat trial and error.

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-05-27T19:20:18+0000  by ordjen

That's all well and good. However, I was interested in buying a finish that is only available from Home Depot online, and the specs say it is tintable, but the local store says they don't sell tints. They only use them in the paint coloring machine. So if I bought an untinted finish online, and had it shipped to my local store for pick-up, I'd be out of luck if I wanted to tint it, since the local store doesn't sell tints. Get my point?

Posted 2013-05-28T16:47:46+0000  by jstith

Hello Jstith!

Thank you for your questions! What is the product that you are purchasing online? Can you send a link? If it is something that is tintable, we should be able to tint it at the store. So, in theory, if you bring in the product that you are purchasing, and tell the associate which color you would like it to be, it shouldn't be an issue.

However, this is not always the case. Sometimes, our online paints and stains need to be tinted at the factory they came from. In that case, there would be different colors online for you to choose from, and it would ship to you already tinted.

Like I said, I would love to help you with your project, but I need specifics on the product that you are purchasing. If you send me the link I can do the research for you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

- Christine :)    

Posted 2013-05-28T18:22:37+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Hello again Jstith!

After I replied, I realized I misunderstood that you had already mentioned the product that you are purchasing. I'm so sorry to have overlooked that. :(

Just to clarify, you are looking to purchasing this product, correct?

Cedar- Seal

I called the company that makes this product directly and they said that this is not a product that is tinted with universal tints. It is actually "tinted" by adding exterior, latex based paint in the color of your choosing. If you would like a solid bodied finish (one that you cannot see the wood grain at all) you will mix equal parts paint to equal parts Cedar-Seal. If you would like a semi-transparent finish (one where you can see the wood grain) you will mix 25% paint to 75% Cedar-Seal.

In terms of which paint sheen to use, the choice is yours to make. Cedar-Seal leaves a semi-gloss finish. If you would like a semi-gloss finish you should mix Cedar-Seal with a semi-gloss paint. If you do not want a semi-gloss finish, you should mix it with a flat finish. If you decide on this, you will have a semi-gloss finish on your deck for a few months, but over time it will become less shiny.

I hope this answers your question. Please let us know if we can help with anything else!

Christine :)

Posted 2013-05-28T19:13:03+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+