Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

transition strip between ceramic tile and carpet

I purchased a few transition strips (z-bar) from my local home depot and would like to ensure I install correctly. I also purchased the necessary tack strips for the carpet area in that area. The strip will join a ceramic floor with a carpeted floor at the doorway. I am not sure which side the carpet tucks under. I really appreciate anyone's feedback on this. Thank you!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-07-18T22:01:34+0000  by sharon3963 sharon3963

sharon3963 wrote:

Thank you for responding. I am attaching 4 pictures. I am installing the z strip to wood subfloor. Ceramic tile to carpet transition. I purchased the carpet tack strips as instructed by the Home Depot sales associate, who was very helpful. I was told that for a clean transition, the z strip was the way to go.

One of the areas I will be transitioning into is a closer with a door. The other area has no door...just the bathroom to the bedroom area.

I left extra carpet when removing it to put the tile in the bathroom area.

Please let me know exactly how to install the transition properly, as well as which tools I will need. Thanks a bunch.

You are welcome Sharon.   

Thank you for the follow up and all of these detailed pictures.

Pictures are sometimes really worth a thousand words and this is a perfect example.

Now I know exactly what you project is and materials you got to work with. It’s like being a virtual handyman :smileyvery-happy:

Sharon these are the tools you are going to need for this project;

1. Carpet knife

2. Pencil

3. Measuring tape

4. Hacksaw

5. Hammer

6. Carpet knee kicker (rentable)

7. Putty knife or a flat chisel 

8. Short piece of lumber (beating block 6"-12")

9. Ruller or a straight edge

knee kicker.jpg

Start of your project by pulling the carpet back away from the work area and your knees. Measure 1/4" from the edge of the tile and draw a line.

Second measure the opening and cut the z-bar and the tack strip.Use the hacksaw to cut the z-bar and the chisel for the tack strip.

Continue and place a wide side of the z-bar down and keep the edge of the narrow side in line 1/4" away from the edge of the tile.

Z-Bar (1).jpg

Place a tack strip on top of the z bar so that nails are directed away from the room and towards the bathroom.

Assure that z bar is in line and hammer the strip down.

Pull the padding (only) and place over the installed tack strip - trim the padding with the edge of the tack strip keeping your hand on the angle away from the nails.

Next, place the carpet over the z-bar and the tack strip and use the carpet kicker to stretch the carpet. Once stretched trim the carpet 1” inch past the edge of the tile. Try to keep the cut straight and neat and pay extra attention not cut the carpet to short.

Once cut fold the carpet and tuck in to the z-bar using a flat chisel or a putty knife. Take your time here and use a knee kicker if needed to pull some extra carpet in.

And finally once tuck in bend the z bar beating on the wood block to lock the carpet in place.

Hope this helps.

George

Posted 2011-08-01T19:32:06+0000  by George_HD_CHI

bathroom to bedroom no door wood subfloor.jpgbathroom to closet wood subfloor.jpgbathroom to bedroom no door wood subfloor.jpgz-strip.jpgThank you for responding. I am attaching 4 pictures. I am installing the z strip to wood subfloor. Ceramic tile to carpet transition. I purchased the carpet tack strips as instructed by the Home Depot sales associate, who was very helpful. I was told that for a clean transition, the z strip was the way to go.

One of the areas I will be transitioning into is a closer with a door. The other area has no door...just the bathroom to the bedroom area.

I left extra carpet when removing it to put the tile in the bathroom area.

Please let me know exactly how to install the transition properly, as well as which tools I will need. Thanks a bunch.

Posted 2011-07-27T01:01:43+0000  by sharon3963

Hi there Sharon and welcome to the community!

Sharon is there any way you can post a picture of the section you are planning on transitioning and product you have purchased.

There is a variety of transition pieces we carry in our stores and picture would really help determining best installation method.

Thank you 

George

Posted 2011-07-19T18:38:38+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+