Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

tub/shower redo into just shower

I have a 54 l x 30 w tub/shower that i want to convert into just a shower.  i would like to put the drain in the center but i cant find any pans that have this feature that are inexpensive. i am on a limited budget and need to find cost savings to do this project. i also would like to tile from pan to ceiling. thanks for your help.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-04-17T12:53:27+0000  by cyndee cyndee

Howdy cyndee,


Your project sounds like an adventurous one for sure.  Before starting the project there are some things to take into consideration. For starters, do you need a permit?  The answer varies by state and locality. If you're not doing anything structural, and it's really all cosmetic, you sometimes don't need to pull an overall permit.  

Some towns/cities want specialty inspections, like an insulation inspection, especially if you’re working with an outside wall. A big concern would be that a home insurance company could refuse to cover a future loss if they find out there was work done without a permit even if it was unrelated to the cause of the loss.

And if you have a contractor doing the work, it is in your best interest to insist that they pull a permit if there's any hint the building department wants you to have one. The bottom line is if one cannot afford to pay for a project once…then how does one afford to have the work torn out and done again?


Happy Building,

Coach Dave

Posted 2016-04-18T19:07:48+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

Hello cyndee and welcome to the Community.


Home Depot carries a shower pan that is 54”x 27” made by Lyon industries.  These have drain on either the left or right hand.  Another option to find a shower pan close to the size and drain type you desire would be to look at mobile home parts suppliers.


A concern about converting a tub to a shower is the size of the drain.  A standard tub drain uses 1 ½” diameter drain pipes where a shower drain is 2” diameter.  As a result you would have to change out your drain pipes to accommodate the size differences.


Another option would to build your own drain pan from mortar if you have suitable sub floor.  Here are step by step directionsThis is not usually within the capabilities of a DIY person.  If you are having a professional do this project, they could also convert your plumbing at the same time.  Unfortunately labor is not cheap.


Your budget may make this project prohibitive.


Thanks for your inquiry.



Posted 2016-04-19T16:01:30+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question