Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

type of paint or glaze for ceramic tile?

HI there! My husband and I just bought a house, and we are wanting to change the ceramic tile counter tops. We don't want to spend the money right away on granite, or quartz. We have had a few people tell us that they make a product that will change the color of the tiles. The tiles are all in good condition..no cracking...just ugly as all get out! I'd appreciate any info on this. Thank you in advance!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-02-29T21:28:00+0000  by Charity Charity

Charity -

That's probably the easiest of the options, and no, you won't have any worries of separation given that you have a strong substrate. If you can't find any traces of cracking on the current tiles, chances are that it's has an adequate bond with it's current substrate. However, I'm also intrigued by your original plan of removing just the fruit tile. Doing this would certainly be easier than removing all the tile together. You can easily use the dremel tool that I mentioned in my previous post, to help do that job.

If you're concerned with the cabinet color, how about putting in a darker color insert into where the fruit tiles are missing, that way it will help bring in the cabinet color and still co-ordinate with your bar later on. Just a thought = )

ordjen it seems is with me on the same thought, of just removing the fruit tiles as well. Good call on the removal steps as well = )

Just Ask Mr. Jay Blog.png

Posted 2012-03-02T17:07:35+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

The objectionable "bowl of fruit" tiles can be removed and replaced with somethng less objectionable. You will never find an exact match, so I would look for some type  of contrasting color or texture. Also, if you are artistically talented, I have seen customers custom paint glazed designs on plain tiles and have them fired  in a kiln at a pottery store. I had one customer who actually custom painted  a continuous country flower garden scene across her tile backsplash. It was permanently fired onto the tiles.

To remove the old tiles, you must remove the old grout around the tiles to be removed. There are inexpensive hand saws available for grout removal, or special blades for Dremel type tools. After removing the grout, drill several holes around the perimeter of the tiles to be removed with a masonry drill bit. Most wall tiles are actually made of very soft clays. After the holes are drilled, use a hammer and cold chisel to gently break out the center of the tile, working toward the edges. Eventually, a stiff putty knife shuld be able to pop up the remainder of the broken tiles Removing the grout helps prevent the neighboring tiles from being broken..

Removing the old tile or going over it is not a little task. Were it I, I would do the remedial task of removing the fruit tiles and wait until I could afford to do a full counter top replacement with a more up to date material. Solid surface countertops are certainly more in vogue and give better return at resale time. Real estate salespeople will tell you that solid materials , such as stone or composite, are the most requested item in the kitchen and that the kitchen sells the house!

Posted 2012-03-02T00:39:28+0000  by ordjen

Jay, OK so after reading your suggestions, I'm inclined to think its going to be much easier to just tile over the existing tile.  If I do this will it forever be there? I mean it wont ever separate the top from the original?  My original plan was to keep the tile and only cut out the fruit, and stain my cabinets a dark color to offset the white counter tops. ( they really wash out the oak cabinets) but than I thought it would be less expensive and less work to change the tile to a dark color and leave the cabinets alone ( minus changing out the hardware) Also I am having a bar built (eventually) that will need to be the same color and material as my counters so if I tile over the existing tile..with a real pretty something or another.Than I can make the bar the same?! Yeah.Think so. So back to my original question...Tile over tile....? :)

Posted 2012-03-01T22:07:40+0000  by Charity

Gotcha. I don't think I'd really enjoy a bowl of fruit design either : {

There are a couple of ways which you can approach this project--

• Tile over old

Just like you mentioned, you could just tile right on top of your existing tiles, given that you won't run into problems re-setting the sink or extending the backsplash up, as you're going to be adding about 1/2" give or take to your current top.

You'll need to clean the tiles well first, remove and dirt and grime or oils on the tile. Since you mentioned that it's glossy, you'll also need to scarify the tiles as well. Using a 40-60 grit sandpaper, you want to buff down that glossy finish till it comes out semi-gritty, this helps your new adhesive set on top of it.

From there, I would recommend using a FlexBond Thin-Set as your mortar base, this adds the optimal flexibility and bond to your job. Then you'll continue on from there just as you would any other tile job, which is a whole other topic to get into... = )

• Remove the top

There are a couple of ways that I personally am familiar with, but perhaps some of our other pros on here can chime in and lend their expertise on differing options for you.

1. Check if the top is screwed in from the bottom. Sometimes you may get lucky and be able to remove the top itself from where they are screwed in underneath. If you don't see any on the underside, then it was either nailed or screwed down from the other side.
  2. Break off your corner/edge bullnose pieces. This will expose the layers of your tile, plywood or cement board, and then top. Take a pry-bar to this and slowly lift the top. If it's too heavy, then you may need to cold chisel some of the tiles off first, to alleviate the weight. Once you have it pryed up a bit, you should be able to see if it's either adhered or nailed down. If you see the nails sticking out, then you're on the right track and you just need a second set of hands to get the rest of it off from there.
  3. Demo. If all else fails, you can just remove the tile and get down to the thinset as best as you can. One tool that makes this job significantly easier, is the Dremel Multi-Max. Along with it's grout removal blade, this will make short work of the job. The rest of the stubborn spots can be helped along with cold chisel. You won't be able to remove all the thinset, but just get it down to a point where it is manageable enough that you can sand the rest.

This will at least save you from having to toss the laminate on top, but won't be quite as easy as it. If you want any more detail on any of them in particular, let us know.

And any one else with thoughts on it or other options I didn't think so, please feel free to add on!~ = )

Posted 2012-03-01T21:46:53+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI
Thank you for the information Ordjen!
Posted 2012-03-01T21:26:16+0000  by Charity

Jay, my current counter tops are shiny and very white!!! With that being said they aren't really to bad I don't guess..Except they have four tiles put together that is like a bowl of fruit! Placed several times on the counter tops and also the back splash...So I was thinking id just cover them up! So now after what you had said about the durability of  painting over them IM thinking that might not be a great idea.  So now I have another question for you...If I replaced the current tile with new how in the heck do I get it off other than beating it and breaking it? Can I just tile over the old?  I really don't want to put laminate on my counters. I do like the look of tile way better than the laminate just not the tile that is on my counters. It seriously looks like it should be in a bathroom NOT in a kitchen. 

Posted 2012-03-01T21:17:47+0000  by Charity

Hey there Charity,

Thanks for joining our community!~

ordjen above hits on a very good product in our stores, Rust-Oleum Tub & Tile Epoxy & Homax Tough As Tile Epoxy, Tub, Tile & Sink Refinishing Kit.

tilerefinisher.png

Both of these products provide the durable epoxy finish that ordjen spoke about, which is a great choice for going over tile.

These are not however, designed for food prep. While these are great for doing walls and tubs, they aren't specifically made for countertops, and as such they can have the possibly of scratching should you run let's say, a kitchen knife over them or drop a heavy pot. However, you also run that same risk with your current ceramic tile as well.

The only limitation on these styles of treatments, is the colors available. You have your choice between the classic white and the humble biscuit in most cases, so hopefully one of those is more appealing then your current color. (which out of curiosity, what does your current tile look like anyways?)

If you we're looking to achieve a more dramatic color change, then I would suggest removing the current tiles and replacing them with new porcelain/ceramic. That way it can tide you over until it's time for your dream granite!~ = )

Hope this helps you out, and best of luck on the project. Be sure to keep us posted with how it goes!

Posted 2012-03-01T15:05:59+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Charity,

The only coating that has a chance of holding for a reasonable time, is an epoxy. Epoxy is hard and resists chemicals, wet conditions and abrasion. Home Depot sells epoxy paints designed for recoating porcelain sinks and tubs in the paint department. It would also be suitable for counter tops.

Posted 2012-03-01T04:47:06+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+