Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

vocal booth

iwould like ideas or plans for a 4ft x 4ft x 6.5ft vocal booth

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-09-27T23:06:25+0000  by Vernon1 Vernon1

Howdy Vernon1,

Building a vocal booth is a great addition to any serious recording studio and can be simple as hanging 4 moving blankets around a singer, or indepth as building a vocal booth complete with viewing window, talkback speaker, lighting, headphones jacks, microphone holder(s), and airflow.

To get the insulation needed you will want to build a ’room within a room’ whereby the walls of the vocal booth are separated from the studio so that they don't transfer unwanted sound. The same applies to the floor. Professional studios will ‘float’ the floor by constructing walls on top of U shaped rubber isolators.

Wall and ceiling construction can be made with various degrees of isolation. Standard wall construction with one layer gypsum board on each side of the wall would be the minimum. You can increase the isolation by applying a second layer of gypsum board to increase the mass. Keep in mind that sound is energy and the more mass you have, them more energy will be required to cause the wall to vibrate and pass sound.

DSC00929.JPG

This drawing I made would be the 4" x 4" x 6.5"dimensions you mentioned in 6 pieces. You would make 4 panels for walls and one top and one bottom. I have added a window and door which is simply having one panel with plywood cut to size. Instead of using nails I use an adhesive such as liquid nails will keep vibrations from nails to a minimum. Using layers of drywall and sound deadening board (Model # 717008 Store SKU # 257322) will give you great results for sound isolation.

Some people have experimented with carpeting the walls of booths, but in my experience, that this approach seldom produces usable results. Carpet only absorbs high frequencies, so the mid-range and low end carry on resonating as before, creating a boxy sound with no life at the top end.  What we needed was a mixture of absorption and reflection with enough low-frequency trapping to keep the room behaving evenly down to the lowest vocal frequencies and beyond.

Happy Recording,

Posted 2013-10-03T22:43:15+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+