Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

walls?

Need help putting up walls to separate a room!.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-11-29T02:30:17+0000  by Jeffrey05 Jeffrey05

Hey Jeffrey05,

Welcome to the community. Separating rooms and creating an extra space in your home can be very exciting. Just recently I’ve divided my family room and created an office and let me just say it turn out to be a bigger job than I’ve expected. I‘ve ended up taking walls down ,moving bathroom to be accessible from a new office ,new doors , new bathroom , new floors ...a lot of work. I’m super happy on how it turned out but the only problem now is that I need more storage place. There was some stuff there …more like a lot of stuff:smileyvery-happy: .I was “forced”:smileymad: to move that stuff upstairs in to our bedroom closets and they are so packed now that you need to prop yourself against the wall to pull something out. My next project is to create a closet in my attic.

Jeffrey, your first step would be to cover your floors and  remaining furniture also move as much furniture as  you can out of the rooms , you are going to need some space to work. Before you start off with separation walls take a look at the section you are planning to separate and make sure that your new walls are not going to block light fixtures, heating supplies and returns, windows, doors etc. Anything that needs to be moved can be very costly and consulted with your local code enforcement council.

Before you start with framing purchase correct materials, purchasing correct materials will save you time and energy. Measure your distance from subfloor to ceiling and if you have a standard height you may be able to frame these walls with pre cut studs. Pre cut studs are already cut to achieve standard wall height in combination with single bottom and double top plate. If these walls are going to be on the ground level you need to purchase pressure treated lumber for your bottom plates. In addition always try to construct your walls on the floor; constructing walls on the floor will make fastening easier.

When selecting a bottom and top plate always try to go with one continuous straight piece, this will keep your walls straight and structurally stronger .Space you vertical studs 16 inches on center, double them at the corners and door openings and also contact your code enforcement officer for appropriate door header size. Something else that you need to thing about before you attach your wall to the ceiling and floors is the thickness of the drywall you are trying to match if going against the existing wall. When attaching new walls to opposite existing “hollow” walls you need to go extra step and remove drywall or plaster to assure that is being appropriately connected to existing framing; attaching your new walls to drywall or plaster will result in cracked corner joints. Also make sure to install a big enough door so you can get a furniture inside the new room, I have a funny story behind that to.

Finally once you have your walls framed out you need to start thinking about electrical, phone and internet connections. New room is going to need a light switch and at least one outlet on each wall. I do not recommend tackling this project yourself, hire a pro, you will need appropriate amperage for new outlets and common mistake people do is to feed them from existing ones. My advice, take your time when taping and finishing drywall, which is the only thing that people, will see when you are done.

EDIT: Jeffrey, in addition please take a minute to visit this link, you will find some additional info and step by step framing a wall guide.

Hope that helps and post some before and after pictures.

George

Posted 2010-11-29T17:59:02+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+