Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

want to diy painting a concrete floor in my living room,

hello experts

i want to remove a carpet from my living room floor and would like to paint my concrete floor, would like some expert advise. want the least complex method.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-04-23T21:07:12+0000  by rosiet68 rosiet68

Hello Rosiet68 and Welcome to the community. Here are a few steps you may want to take before painting your concrete floor, preparation is key.

If you’re floor is peeling here’s a product that will strip the old paint off to bare concrete.

BEHR 1 gal. Concrete and Masonry Paint Stripper

BEHR 1 gal. Concrete and Masonry Paint Stripper

The Behr 1-Gallon Concrete and Masonry Paint Stripper helps remove multiple layers of paint, stain, epoxies and sealers from concrete and masonry surfaces. This remover has a quick and easy water cleanup.

• Helps remove multiple layers of paint, stains, epoxies and sealers from concrete and masonry
  • For indoor and outdoor use
  • Concentrated liquid formula
  • Quick and easy water clean up
  • Biodegradable

Now if you’re floor just has a little grease or grime here’s a product that will do the trick.

BEHR PREMIUM 1 gal. Concrete and Masonry Cleaner and Degreaser

BEHR Premium 1 gal. Concrete and Masonry Cleaner and Degreaser

The Behr 1-Gallon Concrete and Masonry Cleaner and Degreaser can be used inside and outside of your home to remove tough stains. When finished this heavy duty cleaner has an easy water cleanup.

• A multi-purpose remover that helps remove tough household stains
  • For indoor and outdoor use
  • Heavy duty liquid formula
  • Biodegradable
  • Low VOC

If your floor does not have any of these issues it’s always good to prepare any surface that you are about to paint on.

BEHR PREMIUM 1 gal. Concrete and Masonry Cleaner and Etcher

BEHR Premium 1 gal. Concrete and Masonry Cleaner and Etcher

It is an interior/exterior, 2-in-1 cleaner and etcher specifically formulated to prepare the surface prior to coating. It is designed to clean and etch bare concrete and masonry surfaces to improve penetration and adhesion of paints, stains and sealers. This biodegradable and easy water clean-up product will remove grease, oil, auto fluids, rust and red clay stains from any concrete and masonry surface. BEHR NO. 991 is ideal for use on uncoated surfaces such as: garage floors, driveways, walkways, patios, basement floors and walls.

BEHR Premium 1-Gal. Silver Gray Gloss Porch and Patio Floor Paint

BEHR Premium 1-Gal. #PFC-68 Silver Gray Gloss Porch and Patio Floor Paint

The BEHR PREMIUM Porch and Patio Floor Paint Enamel is an interior and exterior floor coating for concrete and wood surfaces. This durable 100% acrylic latex finish resists mildew, scuffing, fading, cracking and peeling. Ideal for use on porches, floors, decks, basements and patios.

• Ideal for interior and exterior concrete and wood floors
  • Resists scuffing, fading, cracking and peeling
  • Mildew resistant finish
  • 100% acrylic latex
  • Available in 2000+ custom colors and computerized color matching (available in store only)
  • Up to 400 sq. ft. of coverage per gallon
  • Durable high gloss finish
  • Easy clean-up with soap and water
  • Tintable in any color

I hope this information is useful for your concrete basement floor.let us know how the project turns out.

Posted 2013-04-23T21:29:14+0000  by Soheil_HD_BOS
thank you very much i just have one quick question does the paint come in diffrent colors?
Posted 2013-04-23T21:39:48+0000  by rosiet68
ok, sorry just read description more carefully and i was able to answer my own question as far as pain colors..thank you.
Posted 2013-04-23T21:50:23+0000  by rosiet68

Rosie,

May I point out that Behr recommends its bonding primer on previously unpainted concrete. This is a clear liquid which is applied solely to increase adhesion of the new paint to the porous concrete. The bonding primer is applied and allowed to dry for several hours. The bonding liquid is not a water based product. The finish coat must be done within 30 days.

Hope this additional information is of help

Posted 2013-04-24T16:28:35+0000  by ordjen

After reading the answer and recommendations about painting a concrete floor indoors I note that etching is advised in the initial process. Then it is recommended to apply a binding primer before painting. The area is broken up. into 5 spaces.No water leaks and light traffic. Basement is 30 yrs old. Poor ventilation, no water source, just an outside drain. What process is needed to give the best results with least amount of steps, rinsing and washing? Paint or stain? To etch or not to etch? HELP!!!

Posted 2013-09-05T17:57:54+0000  by asher22

asher22,

An alternative to acid etching, is to rent a concrete grinding machine. These look like a floor buffer, but in place of the usual brushes, there  are diamond stones which scuff up the surface of the concrete. This is what the pros do to garage floors to assure great adhesion. Little or no water is neccessary with grinding, as opposed to using acid, which requires flushing with plenty of water.

The use of the Behr bonding primer is still advised, whether using the Behr acrylic floor paint, or the Behr one part epoxy. Both can be tinted to virtually any of the Behr palette of colors.

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-09-06T04:31:58+0000  by ordjen
Hello Again Rosiet68!

The concrete cleaner and etcher recommended by Soheil is excellent for preparing your concrete floor.

Make certain to thoroughly rinse the floor and use a shop vac to evacuate the water.

Instead of paint, which caps the floor, consider Behr Concrete Stain (semi-transparent and solid color).

These stain products absorb into the surface and leave the traction of the concrete intact.

These stains also contain water proofing, so there is no need to add clear coat.

And, finally ... when time to refresh the floor, simply clean and re-coat.
Posted 2014-09-04T17:57:43+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Since we spoke last, rosiet68, we made the linked video to demonstrate our Diamond Blade Etcher.

This tool, available from many of our Tool Rental Departments, is an outstanding alternative to remove concrete floor adhesives and coatings.

As you'll see, it is as simple as operating a buffer and a shop vac.

Click the link to have a look.

Watch Our How-To Video

Posted 2015-12-08T23:24:00+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+