Sign In to join the community | Help
Decor

what do i need to hang a framed mirror on the wall

need help in hanging a 100lb mirror on my living room wall, there is nothing behind the mirror so what do i need to put on it so i can hang my mirror on the wall

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-08-06T14:06:55+0000  by KimberlyRichie KimberlyRichie

Hey KimberlyRichie,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

Since there is nothing behind the mirror, you can approach this two ways: either using mirror mastic adhesive and gluing it directly to the wall or use a hanging system that will hold the weight.

If you use a mirror mastic, make sure that you use one that is rated for the weight of your mirror. Also, use the correct trowel for proper application. Read the manufacturers instructions for preparing the wall so it will stick properly.

If you decide to do the other option, hanging, you'll need to make hangers that will be adhered or fastened directly to the back of the mirror. To avoid cracking and damaging the mirror, you can do this in its frame, if it has one.

The hanger is just half of the process; you'll also need hanger wire rated for the weight, if not more, for your mirror. Also, the hanging clips need to be installed directly into the studs in the wall.

If you don't have a frame on your mirror, you could build one and securely it firmly to the mirror to ensure that it can be hung via hangers. Another option would be to build a platform/shelf rest so that it stays on that. The shelf would then be directly secured into the wall.

As stated earlier, you have more than one option. Let us know if you do or don't have a frame around your mirror.

Also, any further questions you may have, just let us know.

Joseph

Posted 2013-10-05T18:25:15+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+