Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

what happened to my carrot seedlings?

I planted carrot seeds more than a week back & the seeds had germinated. The seedlings were growing nicely (very close to each other) until last night. I was thinking of  thinning them after a week or 2. But this morning, I see that more than half the seedlings have disappeared. What happened to them?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-10-03T14:25:10+0000  by smi80 smi80

I think am going to give up now...I have been trying really hard to grow some spinach, carrots & also planted some beetroots in the space where I had earlier planted cauliflower. My cauliflower seedlings were completely eaten up by the insects. I tried spraying them with Neem Oil & also alternated with diluted dishwash soap as suggested by a perosn at my local HomeDepot. Nothing seems to help!!!

I have seen very tiny black insects flying near some seedlings. What could they be?

The seedlings keep getting eaten up & I keep planting again. Now am ready to give up completely.

Just 1 Q - the leaves of these seedlings are eaten up but I can still see the main stem in the soil. So, are there chances that it might continue to grow or will they gradually die out completely?

Posted 2012-10-20T21:15:44+0000  by smi80

These are pics of 2 diff patches where I planted carrots, spinach, cauliflower, beetroot , onions & garlic. They are protected by 2ft high chicken wire. What are these dents in the soil? Can a rabbit jump high enough to get in here?

In the pics, you can see the remains of my plants. What is happening to them? Is it impossible to successfully grow these vegetables outdoors?

100_4065.JPG100_4066.JPG100_4067.JPG

Posted 2012-10-22T22:21:07+0000  by smi80

Hello Smi80,

It does look as if you have chewing insects on your plants-- I would still use the neem oil as often as it says to on the label. I'm not sure what the dents are in the soil. A hoof? Are there deer in the area? Although I would have expected more damage from them. Blood meal placed around the area should help keep out deer and rabbits.

Keep us informed,

GardenGail

Posted 2012-10-31T16:53:23+0000  by Gail_HD_OC
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+