Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

what is the best way to install step stone pavers to a muddy small back yard

I would like to install some step stone, white rock and brick edger to my small back yard. the back yard is dirt and turns to mud when it rains, i have 2 dogs that bring in that mud so im looking for an easy soultion please help.

Miranda

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-06-24T16:03:13+0000  by miranda miranda

Hello Miranda,

Welcome to the community.

First I would make sure that you don’t have a drainage issue and then level off your yard so that it’s slopped away from your house.

If you’re in an area that rains a lot then the first step would lay a 1” bed of gravel and tamp it. If not you can get away with skipping the gravel and going directly to the next step the sand base. gravel.jpgtamper.jpg

Lay a 1” layer of paver base sand and tamp it. Now you’re ready to lay your pavers down.paver sand.jpg

It sounds like you are looking to lay random stepping stones with rock in between them so now you would lay your stepping stone where you want then and then fill in the other areas with whatever rock you choose. You mentioned white rock. The white rock that I’m thinking of has some sharp edges so if it were me I don’t think I would use it in a location that my dog would be walking. It might hurt their paws. I would use something like pea gravel or something else that you can find that has a little softer edge.:smileyhappy:pea gravel.jpg

Once you get all of your stepping stones set and the gravel of choose set it’s time to lock everything in. You can use the tamper on the gravel but I wouldn’t use it on the pavers due to it might break them. You can use a rubber mallet or a 2 x 4 on top and then use a hammer to set them in the sand. The 2 x 4 can also be used to make sure that they are all level.

I know it’s a lot of tamping but if you don’t they will not lock in properly and they will wonder on you and you will have to re-set them over time.

I also found a video of installing patio pavers for you to watch. I’m all about a picture is worth a 1000 works.

I hope this has helped you with your stepping stone project. Let me know if you have any other question.

Posted 2011-06-24T18:20:01+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+