Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

what is the best way to paint an exterior metal door

I currently have a metal exterior door.  Over time it seem th metal is breaking through.  Can this door be repainted

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-08-28T14:37:47+0000  by cookieterrell cookieterrell

Welcome to our community Cookieterrell!

Thank you for your question! It sounds like your paint is cracking and exposing the metal underneath it. If this is the case, you will have to sand down the paint so that is doesn't have a texture any more before you paint it. You can either use an electric sander (I would recommend this if it is very textured) or a sanding block.

Once you have sanded the door smooth, you can repaint your door. Is your door in direct sunlight for most of the day? If so, this can lead to the paint cracking over time. If this is the case for you, I would highly recommend using an exterior paint and primer in one.  Behr Marquee stands up the the Sun better than the Behr Ultra, so if it is extreme Sun, Marquee would be my best recommendation.

If you are not in direct Sun, you can use an exterior paint and exterior primer separately. A primer is going to help your paint adhere to the door and will help it last longer.

If you have any more questions, please let us know!

Christine :)

Posted 2013-09-11T15:06:08+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+