Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

what is topical weed preventer vs grandular in reference to gardens/flowerbeds

this is in regards to the project idea/article that came out on the home depot site this Wed. march 18 "Keep Weeds in the dark....." In the article it suggested using a "granular preemergent weed preventive" before adding mulch to your garden or bed,and if you already have Mulch it suggested a "topical weed preventative" . I'm assuming the granular is something like Preen, but what is a "topical weed preventive". I already have mulch down and plants growing I fight the weeds all summer long....such a hassle.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-03-20T16:03:58+0000  by txtngal txtngal

Hi txtngal,

Thank you for your question.

I did not find the article that you referenced but based on your description of the article, I would have to say that a Topical would be something that is sprayed onto the weeds and the granular would be as you described it, a granular product such as Preen.  Be aware that a Topical Weed Preventer can also be a Herbicide which is usually designed to attack broad leafed plants.  Caution should be exercised when applying this.

One of the things I have added to my flowerbed is Weed Mat.  The weed mat is laid down on the ground before the plants are put in but may also be added if you already have established plants.  Just cut and trim to place neatly around all of the desired plants.  I add the Granular Weed Preventer “Preen”, after I have added my mulch.  This way, any weed seeds that blow in will come in contact with the pre-emergence and any weed seeds already there will also be affected.

With a weed mat, any weeds that do grow, will not be able to develop a tap root and will be easy to pull out.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Posted 2015-03-20T18:31:26+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+