Sign In to join the community | Help
Appliances

what size waterheater for your size house

I need to know the right size and capacity of a waterheater for a 3 story house.  

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-08-07T08:02:35+0000  by MsDee MsDee

Hi there MsDee,

Thanks for joining our community!~

Great question! I've created a table below that you can check out and view the average capacity minimums based on the number of rooms in your house. 

Determine Water Heater Capacity
Number of Bathrooms1 − 1.52 − 2.5 3 − 3.5  
Number of Bedrooms1    2   32   3   4   53   4   5    6
Minimum Tank Size20  30 4050 50 50 6050  60 60 80

Tankless: To determine the size of the tankless hot water heater you need, you’ll need to calculate how much hot water you’ll need at one time, which is called the flow rate. Flow rate is measured in gallons per minute (gpm). The table below provides typical flow rates for typical household hot water applications.

Fixture/ApplianceTypical Flow Rates
Bathroom Faucet0.5 - 1.5 gpm
Low Flow Kitchen Faucet3.0 - 7.0 gpm
Shower1.0 - 2.0 gpm
Dishwasher1.0 - 2.5 gpm
Clothes Washer1.5 - 3.0 gpm

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Be sure to Subscribe to your posts!~ Look for the [Options] drop down at the top right of your post and select [Subscribe] from the list to stay alert to new activity or replies to your questions. = )

Also, if this answer was helpful to you or solved your problem, please hit the Accept As Solution button to let us know!~
Posted 2013-08-08T15:41:16+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI
Hello Again MsDee!

I happen to live in a three-story home and when I replaced my water heater, I used a 50-gallon, 12-year, gas.

This unit was manufactured with an insulation blanket under the metal skin, so it recycles very rapidly and maintains very well too.

While I could have purchased a smaller, shorter-life unit, however the incremental cost to purchase the best was very small.

Historically, the 50-gallon tanks were the largest available in-store.

Check with your Plumbing Associate and consider the best available with the longest available life ... you can't go wrong.

ONE LIMIT:
The space available for your water heater may be the only real limit.

If your existing unit is packed into a small space, renovating the area may be more costly than simply using the same physical size unit.

However, it the space around your existing water heater is large enough, simply go to the best available with the longest life.
Posted 2014-11-05T21:19:42+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+