Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

what type of wood should I use for my organic container garden?

I have non-GMO processed seed and the proper soil and additives for my project.  I would like to make a container box for my garden that will run across one of the walls of my property.  I would like for it to be a raised box so that I do not have to bend down too far.  Since i am very careful in choosing my soil and my seeds should I also pay mind to the type of wood that I use to prepare my container box?  Also is there a DIY project for this?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-15T04:49:37+0000  by bestquilter bestquilter

Hi there bestquilter,

I’m Jen, from The Home Depot.  Welcome to the community!

Raised Bed 1.jpg

My cedar raised bed- just planted last year.

Congratulations on your first steps to growing a vegetable garden.  I too have concerns about what soil, amendments etc. that I use in my garden.  It takes a little more effort but in the long term, it’s best to protect yourself and your family.

I suggest using untreated cedar for your garden.  Cedar last for many, many years and additionally it acts as a natural insect repellent surrounding your vegetables.  We sell cedar raised bed kits that are all thought out for you.  Many you just slide together and do not need tools.  If your garden is large or you need a specific shape, you may want to purchase cedar boards to design your own.

Cedar Raised Bed.jpg

This is a 4x4 Cedar Kit.  You can start with one or purchase several and make different shapes.  You can also stack them on top of eachother to allow for more depth of soil and less bending.

Cedar Raised Bed 3.jpg

Here are a couple of examples of the configurations that you can make with a 4x4 kit.

Cedar Raised Bed Two Tier.jpg

This one is great for someone that does not want to kneel down or bend all of the time.  It stands 32" high.

Cedar Raised Garden Bed.jpg

Last spring, I wrote an article on how to grow vegetables organically.  I've attached a link, perhaps you may find a few tips for your new garden adventure.  Please let us know if you have any additional questions.  We would love to guide you along the way!

Posted 2014-01-15T13:29:44+0000  by Jen_HD_BOS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+