Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

when spray painting metal is it best to recoat when first is tacky or fully dry

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-09-25T22:08:00+0000  by ctluke ctluke

It's best to follow the manufacturer's instructions printed on the can. Usually they'll say, within X hours or after Y hours.  I learned this from another forum member, ordjen, who expained that doing that will eliminate problems caused by the layers of paint drying at different rates.

Posted 2013-09-26T01:21:05+0000  by Adam444

It's a great day in the Paint Department ctluke!

Very few products (spray, brush, or roll) ask you to recoat while the product is still wet.

Spray paints, in general, say to wait 30-minutes between "light coats."

What the manufacturer has learned through product research is several thin coats, sprayed about 30-minutes apart, make a strong, durable finish.

They also know that primer is the best method to provide a base, over which paint can adhere and not chip or crack.

NOTE:

The Store sells epoxy spray for refinishing tubs that says, "Recoat within 30-minutes or after 72-hours."

This unusual instruction is also the result of extensive product research.

So, take Adam's advice and simply read the instructions and follow them ... they were written to help ensure your success!

FINALLY:

I often recommend combining product by the same manufacturer, rather than different manufacturers.

An example; use Rust-Oleum Polyurethane (clear coat) over Rust-Oleum paint.

Not always, but frequently enough to mention, the solvents from different manufacturers react with each other to "ripple" the finish.

Posted 2013-09-26T13:21:55+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

There is one instance when I do occasionally spray over tacky paint: when forced to spray a verticle surface, I will often give a very quick, light coat of the surface, wait about a minute until it is tacky, and then give a full flowing finish coat. The tackiness, in this instance, helps keep the finish coat from sagging or running.

To this end, it is a good idea to also have used a primer. Primers give "tooth", that is, a slightly rough surface which grabs the paint to aid in keeping it from running.

Pat has cautioned about mixing paints of different solvent base types. The one which I am particularly cautious of, is using lacquer on top of other paints. A true lacquer's solvent  is very aggressive and can crinkle up the underlying finish, especially if it has not fully cured.

Posted 2013-09-27T04:03:54+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+