Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

where to install exterior motion sensors spotlights

Trying to figure out best place to install exterior motion sensor spotlights on simple 1 story ranch house.  Gutters on front and back are in the way of where I need to install them.  Fascia board is very narrow and slopes sharply upward behind gutters toward house.  Down spouts on front and back corners are in the way of wall mount.  Is there any kind of bracket that can be mounted from the base to the light unit to get it away from/around the gutters?  Otherwise I am forced to install single wall mount units on front walls, side walls, back walls of house.  Is that right??????????
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-01-25T09:55:50+0000  by gcarh30137 gcarh30137

Lights are often installed on the soffit as shown in this picture:

For motion sensing lights, wrapping around a corner can get a little tricky because of the position of the sensor.  If you go with a corner, then look with a light whose sensor has a large field of view (~270 degrees).

There are a fixtures on the market today where the LEDs are built into the fixtures.  Obviously LEDs are far more energy efficient than traditional incandescent lamps and have a very long life.  If you want to go with LEDs my suggestion is to use a traditional fixture and LED bulbs.  The reason being that the motion sensor itself usually has a much shorter life than bulbs.  Down the road, when the sensor fails, you can replace the fixture (or the just the sensor) and reuse the bulbs.  Otherwise, you'll just be tossing the entire, more expensive, fixture in the trash.

Posted 2016-01-25T12:35:02+0000  by Adam444
Howdy gcarh30137,

Here is a little video that gives a bit more insight on installing your outdoor security lights.

Posted 2016-01-25T19:38:22+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+