Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

where to start on my yard full of weeds?!!

I have a de cent size backyard that is covered in weeds that have been recently mowed down. There were as tall as me 5'3. I would like to grow grass in my backyard, but need help on where to start. I know I will have to throw some weed killer and rotatiller it, but need advice on what is the best weed killer and best way to get the job done on a budget.grass.JPG

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-06-14T03:22:45+0000  by carmslawn carmslawn

Great, thanks for the info! I didn't really consider it but CO is pretty geographically diverse.. I live in the south-west, pretty high in the mountains too. 

Posted 2013-06-15T00:22:02+0000  by ChexMixed

Hey  Chexmixed. Ken here again. Thanks for getting back to me.

Since you are high in the mountains go with the cool season grasses.

Put them down in late summer or early fall.

Keep me posted on how things go.

Posted 2013-06-17T18:14:51+0000  by Ken_HD_CHI

Hello i am in the same situation. Except i have dogs that are in the yard and their fur gets full of foxtail and they even go into thier skin. backyard is full of these. i want to get rid of them all and grow some grass. Right now in  southern california it is really hot does the climate have anything to do with grass not being able to grow here

Posted 2013-06-28T00:17:29+0000  by cristina14

Hello cristina14. Ken here in the Chicago area. Welcome to the Community!!!

You have to get rid of the foxtail for your dog’s sake.

If you have a lot of lawn, start by pulling out some of the foxtail by hand everyday

for a week. Then spray with a non-selective herbicide like Roundup. It will leave

dead spots in the lawn that you can reseed later. Spraying with a broad-

leaf herbicide for lawns like Weed b Gon won’t do it because foxtail is an annual

grass. One exception is Weed b Gon Chickweed, Clover, and Oxalis Killer. It will

control foxtail. Start with this and if after a couple of sprays it is not gone, then

use Roundup.

Roundup 32 oz. Concentrate Weed and Grass Killer Ortho Weed B Gon Chickweed, Clover, Oxalis Killer for Lawns

If there is hardly any lawn then just Roundup the whole area and reseed with a

warm-season grass like Bermuda grass.

Pennington Seed Premium 5 lb. Bermuda Grass Seed

The climate has nothing to do with grass not growing. As long as you have a warm-

Season grass, and it gets enough water and food, it will look fine.

Keep us posted on how things go.

Posted 2013-07-01T14:46:26+0000  by Ken_HD_CHI

Same story here...

I just bought a house in Pittsburgh, PA. And this is what my back yard looks like. There seems to be some sort of wild strawberries growing as well among others. I am planning on doing some vegetations along the fence but would still like a nice lawn along the middle.

Please let me know, what is the best way to tackle this problem.

Thanks!Back Yard1Back Yard Close Up

Posted 2013-07-03T14:51:30+0000  by asher04

I am moving in (renting) a house built in 1976 in Broomfield, CO and the front and back yard need a lot of work.  I don't want to completely scrap it and start over.  I need to work with what is there.  Both have been mowed on a regular basis.  I know water will help some, but don't want to put a ton of water on it only for it not to help, or make the weeds grow even faster since they are the only green thing there!

The front yard has some grass, 2 big trees, lots of bare spots and weeds, along with seeds, pods etc. from the trees.  It is "normal" size.

The backyard is huge, pie and rectangular shaped and whatever I do there will need to be done in sections. It is mostly weeds and bare spots and include a "straw" type of weed.  I'm not sure there really is any true grass back there. Other than a few trees coming through the other side of the fence, there is nothing along the fence lines either and the neighbors on either side have large weed patches adjacent to my yard.  

Of course with an older yard it is uneven, but I just don't feel that I can invest the time and money to tear it all up and start over and even it all out etc. (other than fill the big holes), unless that is the only option.  So, I am hoping there are alternatives. 

Thank you for any help/suggestions you can provide!  i really want to get started on it in the next few weeks and hope to have significant improvement, especially in the back, before next spring.

Posted 2013-08-03T12:42:51+0000  by BJO
Hi, I'm from Lubbock Texas. I'm looking to get some Zoysia grass growing in my backyard. I want to till it and start over fresh. Any tips, suggestions, or help would be greatly appreciated!
Posted 2013-09-14T05:06:20+0000  by ang3l0666
Howdy jbrock523,

Without actually seeing a close-up photo of the actual weed, I can only take a guess at the type weed is taking over. Judging by the growth pattern I'm thinking you have; Lotus coniculatus, Oxalis stricta, Portulaca oleracea, Rorippa sylvestris, or Taraxacum officinale.

While these sound exotic, they actually are fairly common in some parts of the United States and if the problem is as bad as you say, you may have to do a chemical extermination of the area. Using some Roundup of the area and then turning the ground over with a rototiller or shovel should give you a clean slate to start over.

If the problem was small, there are a number of weed killers available at the Home Depot, however they are if the amount of weeds are less then 30%. If the area is larger, it's time to start over.

Happy Gardening
Posted 2014-04-15T00:03:02+0000  by Dave_HD_OC
Here is a Scotts Lawn Schedule to help keep your lawn on track. If you are in the north, scroll down some and you will see the northern schedule. Take a look at these other related articles to help clear up other questions.

Other related articles:

12 Essential Nutrients Plants Need To Stay Healthy

What is lime and why is it important?

Top Benefits of Leveling Your Lawn

What are the numbers on fertilizer? What are the different types of grass?

Why did the weed and feed not kill my weeds?

Posted 2015-12-10T20:57:56+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL
I'm a renter, so I'm not trying to spend an arm & a leg to get my yard looking decent. But would definitely love to have actual grass. This is what I have at the moment I live in Snellville, GA & could use any help possible. I live in Snellville, GA
Posted 2017-04-19T11:57:29+0000  by KatKat
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+