Sign In to join the community | Help
Lumber & Composites

which type of lumber do I need

I want to use a board to slip under my top mattress for more support. I am hoping to find something that is lightweight but rigid enough to support an adult up to 150 lbs without sagging between the slats on my wrought iron daybed frame.  Thank you
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-01-07T00:12:22+0000  by lawmom lawmom
I would think a piece of plywood at least 1/2" thick would do the job.  If you bring in the dimensions you need the store can cut the piece to size for you.  It would probably a good idea to smooth the cut edges and corners with some sandpaper to keep the plywood from damaging your mattress.
Posted 2017-01-08T01:06:24+0000  by Adam444

Hello lawmom,

Just like Adam states, using 1/2" plywood is important. 

As equally as important is the type of plywood you use. Avoid cheaper grades and types, like OSB or MDF. The real strength is in pine or oak in sanded form. Use this, and your local Home Depot will have no problems with cutting the right boards for your bed support.


Posted 2017-01-09T16:32:59+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question