Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

whitewashing kitchen cabinets

My kitchen cabinets are painted yellow and I'm so ready to be done with that. I really like the whitewash look but everything I've researched shows this being done on a wood surface. Could I paint them gray, then put the white wash over that, or do I need to sand them down to  wood and go from there? I appreciate any tips you can give me as I am definately a beginner in the makeover department.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-02-17T17:59:21+0000  by christyaeastman christyaeastman

Hello Christy!  Welcome to the community.

The good news is that the cabinets are already painted - so half the battle is won.

The fist step is to clean the surface of the cabinets. Give special attention to the areas that are handled the most (like handles and sides) and especially the tops where grease and dust will settle.  

Use TSP(Tri-Sodium Phosphate) to clean the surface.  

• After the surface is dry, lightly sand with a medium grit sanding sponge.  
  • Wipe any excess dust with a damp rag.
  • Paint a base coat with our BEHR Ultra paint/primer - matching the color you picked out (blue, gray or even a taupe).
  • Let it all dry for at least 24 hours.
  • Apply a glaze coat of white (mix 1 part white paint-to- 3 parts glazing) in whole sections - brushing in the direction of the wood construction.  Example: brush the top and bottom sides of a cabinet door first, then brush the the sides, and finish with the middle). It will take a little practice - by two doors you will be an expert.

*example of painting a door below.

• Lastly; seal with a clear water based polyurethane.

Posted 2013-02-17T19:21:08+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+