Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

why does one part (bottom or top) of electrical outlet doesn't work?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-12-09T22:55:02+0000  by db db

Receptacles are often split wired with a wall switch operating half of the duplex outlet....is this the case?

Posted 2010-12-10T00:35:47+0000  by abnorm

Has your outlet always been like this, or is it a new problem? 

If the outlet used to work and now doesn't, and it's not controlled by a light switch like the previous post mentioned, then there is a chance some wiring came loose and needs to be checked out to ensure you don't have a safety or fire issue.  If you aren't comfortable working with electricity, call in an electrician.

If you have experience with electricity and know which circuit breaker to turn off, then you can probably easily fix this yourself.  After turning off the power, just take off the cover, unscrew the outlet and gently pull it out of the box.  If there are loose wires and you are familiar with how to wire an outlet, the you can obviously just re-connect the wires.  If everything looks normal, then you can remove the old outlet and replace it with a new one.  They are pretty inexpensive - less than a buck for some models.

Again - I DON'T recommend doing any of your own wiring if you don't have experience or aren't comfortable with it.  It's very easy to do, but I don't think I could properly explain what needs to be done in this text reply. 

I do own the Home Depot 1-2-3 book.  It has good diagrams and explains how to do all of this safely.  I highly recommend getting the book, because the cost of the book is a heck of a lot less than hiring an electrician!  Once you get the feel for how to replace outlets, you'll discover how easily it is to install dimmer switches, timers and other improvements on the cheap. 

Posted 2010-12-10T15:31:11+0000  by dsp01

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+