Sign In to join the community | Help
Lumber & Composites

will home depot cut lumber to size?

will HOme Depot cut 4x4 lumber to size?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-08-18T21:04:51+0000  by dvideo dvideo

Hi dvideo,

We do make cuts in the stores, we use course cut blades in the saws to accommodate all types and sizes of wood. As a result 
they are rough cuts and may not be exactly the length you desire.The main reason for offering a cutting service is to reduce the size of lumber so the customer may get it home in their car.

I would suggest having the wood cut to a length longer than you need and then cutting it to the exact size at home.

Mike

Posted 2016-08-18T21:48:14+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Hello, I went to a Home Depot near my job to get a piece of 2"x4" MDF, it's cut size was actually 24.5" on the width. I asked to have it ripped to 24" in order to fit into an opening that I was working on. They refused to cut it citing the "We can't cut anything under 12" due to OSHA rules and to prevent kick back. Kind of odd because there wouldn't be a kickback using the panel saw. I said that the board is larger than 12" and that I have had cuts done like this at other HD's with no problems. They told me that the "other stores are not holding company policies then" and still refused the cut telling me that the associate could possibly "lose a finger or a hand". WOW!!
 I kind of mentioned that the Associate must not know how actually use the tool then because with any common sense wouldn't push the board all the way up to the blade, they would begin the cut and then about 1/2 way through they would then pull the board through thus never getting their hands near the blade. "Sorry, we can't do it, we'll get in trouble with Corporate if they find out and as we said It's OSHA rules and you don't mess with them". 
 If this is OSHA rules then cabinet builders and many others would be having a lot of issues with OSHA for making small cuts in their shops. HMM
Posted 2018-03-03T14:11:00+0000  by RC6069

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+