Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

will tub and sink re-enamel spray work on a floor?

i know getting a tub or sink professionaly reenamled is the best way to do it, but ive been eyeing that DIY spray at home depot and was wondering, will the enamel work on a tile floor too?

or will it chip/ /wear/ not adhere properly?

thoughts?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-06-22T14:03:32+0000  by waltzngmatlda waltzngmatlda

Hey Waltzngmatlda,

There are few different types of bath fixture refinishing kits that you can get. The spray one that you are talking about is probably this one:

spray.jpg

Another popular kit is this one:

rust.jpg

Both of these products can be used and multiple surfaces including fiberglass, porcelain, and ceramic. If your floors are made out of porcelain or ceramic tiles these kits will work. Although neither of them specify whether or not they are made for long term foot traffic they do guarantee their durability and quality.

The DIY way is always my favorite way to go. I say give it a shot. I have heard a lot of positive feed back on both of these products and have used lots of products by Rust-Oleum and they have all worked great! Good luck!-Gregg

Posted 2011-06-22T14:46:48+0000  by gotogregg

those are exactly the products ive been looking at.

the only problem with the DIY chance is if it doesnt work, id have a major project redoing the tile...and i rent.

i think, if used properly, the finish would work just fine on the floor tiles.  im just wondering if anyone has done it before and what their experience was.

b

Posted 2011-06-22T14:52:45+0000  by waltzngmatlda

I have been thinking of some other solutions for brining your tile floor back to life. Instead of taking a risk with the tub refinishers here are some products made specifically for tile and have great reviews.

The first step would be to clean your tiles with Rejuvenate Floor Restoration cleaner.

rejuv.jpg

This should bring the shine back to the tile and have it looking like new.

Now that the tile is looking better you can tend to the grout. Grout Renew is an easy way to recolor and seal your existing grout.

gren.jpg

This comes in a few different colors. You dont have to worry about matching what you have because it will completely change the color of the old grout. If your grout is white now you can change it sandtone if you want. Here are the instructions for Grout Renew: INSTRUCTIONS. Click the pictures for more information on the products. Hope this helps. -Gregg

Posted 2011-06-23T12:33:19+0000  by gotogregg

wowwow

thanks for all the info

the cleaning stuff looks great- especially the grout one.

but really, i was interested in re-enameling the floor tile to change the actual color.  i know, i know, it keeps getting more complicated.

the reason why i was exploring this option over just retiling the floor is because is the floor in question is in my small, skinny kitchen in nyc.

judging by the size of the stove and dimensions of the space, im fairly certain the stove was installed and countertops put in afterward.  so theres really very little wiggle room for the stove.

i figure if the enamel solution worked, i would prop the stove up to cover that part of the floor.

complicated, i know.

anyways, im going to keep asking around and seeing if someone has had this experience and if it turned out alright.  thanks!

Posted 2011-06-23T15:46:57+0000  by waltzngmatlda

I have had great success with this method:

1. Clean the surface of the floor and strip any wax or coating off.
  2. Lightly sand the surface of the tile with 220 grit sand paper.
  3. Prime the surface with a high quality primer like BIN or Cover Stain.  Prime an additional coat.
  4. Lightly sand one more time and clean any dust up.
  5. Paint over the top with a porch/floor enamel paint (meant to handle foot traffic).

tilepaint.jpg

With this meathod, you will have the ability to “touch up” in the future if anything should chip up – just keep the extra paint.

Posted 2011-06-23T18:45:51+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL
Excellent Suggestion Kevin!

BIN, a shellac-based primer, is among Ordjen's favorites, so I know it's a great product.

I also love your recommendation to lightly sand after the primer is applied.

You gain the benefits of the primer, which acts like double-stick tape for paint, and the benefits of sanding, which helps create a "mechanical bond" between the primer and paint ... ultimately the best of both methods!

I'm all about ensuring success the first time, your recommendation prevents any doubt the floor paint will adhere.

FINALLY:
There is a difference between wall paint and floor paint.

When painting a floor, always make certain the product is labeled for floors.

Behr Porch and Floor and Glidden Porch and Floor are two excellent examples.
Posted 2014-09-04T19:33:39+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Hi waltzngmatlda,

Just for clarification, I contacted Homax Technical Support and they confirmed their Tub, Tile, and Sink Refinishing Kit is not a floor-rated product.

So, even though you may get the product to adhere initially, eventually it will crack and come up.
Posted 2015-11-19T21:54:02+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+