Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

yard of weeds

My very small yard is completely overrun with weeds. The grass is pretty much gone. Just looking for advice on where to start and when is the best time to start. 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-11-28T21:11:59+0000  by yardnewbie yardnewbie

Hi yardnewbie,

Welcome to The Community!!

I notice that you are located in Huston. That means that you have a long growing season, especially for the weeds.

I purchased a home ten years ago that had no visible lawn. All I could see was crabgrass that was killed due to freeze. I started a weed control plan that consisted of pre-emergent every three months and regular lawn mowing. The rainfall cooperated over the following couple of years with normal amounts, so the Bermuda grass that had been taken over, eventually made a comeback.

Warm season grasses, such as Saint Augustine grass, centipede, Bermuda grass and Zoysia are popular grasses in your area. If you have had one or more of these grasses in your lawn, chances are that they are still there to some degree.

You can use selective herbicides to kill unwanted weeds without removing the desired lawn grass, but you will need to know which grass it is that you have.

Winter is a great time to begin. Let us know what grass performed best for you in the past and we can recommend a regimen that will get you a lush lawn again.

Looking forward to hearing from you again,

-Travis

Posted 2016-11-29T14:49:42+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+