06-03-2012 01:54 PM - edited 06-04-2012 02:04 PM
The most important thing you need to do is take into consideration the size of tile you are wanting to install.
Figuring the amount:
- Measure the length of the backsplash area (the span of the countertops, stove top, and any intended overage).
- Then measure the average height (from the countertop to the bottom of the cabinets).
- Multiply the two numbers to get a square foot figure.
*example: a 10ft countertop length x 3ft of height between = 30sq/ft surface space . So - if you are dealing with 4inch x 4inch tiles you would need approximately 270 tiles (9 rows of 30 tiles).
- Other spaces can be measured the same way and added to the overall figure.
- Keep in mind that you may have to cut some larger tiles - which will produce a small amount of waste.
Hope this helps.