06-20-2013 04:07 PM - edited 07-10-2013 03:46 PM
How to Install a Bath Faucet
SKILL LEVEL: Novice
TIME: 1 – 1 1/2 hours
- Basin wrench - RIDGID Faucet and Sink Installer Tool (Store SKU # 149553)
- Adjustable wrench or slip-joint pliers – Husky 10 in. Double Speed Adjustable Wrench (Store SKU # 857666)
- Putty knife – Husky 1-1/2 in. Chisel Putty Knife (Store SKU # 720808)
- Caulk Gun - Workforce 60:25 Caulk Gun (Store SKU # 449328)
- Bucket / rags
Before you choose your faucet you need to determine whether the holes in your sink are drilled for a 4” or an 8” on center faucet.
Faucet ($79 price point) – choice one:
- Delta Mandara 4 in. 2-Handle High-Arc Bathroom Faucet in Stainless
(Model # 25962LF-SS - Internet # 202624492 - Store SKU # 533307)
- Delta Porter 4 in. 2-Handle Mid-Arc Bathroom Faucet in Brushed Nickel
(Model # 25984LF-BN - Store SKU # 301045)
Supply lines – usually 16” or 20” depending upon the location of the angle valve
Silicone caulking or plumber’s putty - choose one based upon the material of the vanity countertop:
- Silicone caulk – GE Silicone II 9.8-oz. Clear Kitchen and Bath Caulk (Store SKU # 469296)
- Plumber’s Putty - NOT TO BE USED ON CULTURED MARBLE - Oatey 14 oz. Plumber's Putty (Store SKU # 180254)
1. Turn off the water at the angle valve then turn the faucet on to release the pressure.
2. Remove the old supply lines and the mounting nuts in order to remove the faucet.
3. Use the putty knife to remove all of the old sealant from the top so the new faucet will seal properly. Then apply a ¼” bead of caulking all the way around the footprint of the faucet.
4. Insert the faucet so that the base is parallel to the back of the sink and press the faucet down firmly.
5. From beneath the sink, screw the friction washers and mounting nuts onto the faucet tailpieces and tighten them with the basin wrench.
6. Attach the supply lines to the faucet and angle valves. Wipe away any excess putty from around the faucet base.
7. Turn the water back on at the angle valves.
STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS for the POP-UP ASSEMBLY:
1. Take the clip off of the lever strap, loosen the locknut at the bottom of the sink and then unscrew the top flange. This will allow the assembly to be removed from the bottom.
2. Cover the bottom of the new flange with a rope of plumber’s putty. Insert the drain body up through the lavatory hole from underneath and screw the flange into it from the top. Tighten the locknut.
3. Turn the drain body towards the rear so that it lines up with the pop-up linkage.
4. Insert the plunger then insert the ball so that the rod fits in the opening on the plunger. Slide the ball nut over the arm and screw it onto the threads of the drain tailpiece.
5. Slide the arm through the nearest hole in the lever strap and fasten it with a clip.
**If you have an 8” on center faucet then you will need to attach the supplied connector supply line to all 3 fixture pieces from below. This will be done between steps #4 and #5.
"You can't do it if you don't try". Believe in yourself!! ______________________________________________________________________
I am a Home Depot Store Associate, trained and authorized to help people on the Internet.